Wednesday, May 17, 2006

First few days of work

So I started working as an intern at the Korea Times on Monday. The morning begin with a minor disaster when I realized that the hangers at the dry cleaners in Finland had been mixed up, and I ended up taking my dad’s suit! Let’s just say that we’re not exactly the same size. After a moment of sheer panic, I opted for a jacket, shirt, tie and jeans. So it all worked out in the end. Especially since only the Korean workers seem to wear suits anyway. All of the Westerners working here confide in jeans. In addition to myself, there are four other interns, all from America. We’ve all been assigned to different posts, such as Finance, Sports, Culture. I’m currently at the National Section (“Why?”, you are asking. I wish I could answer that).


The good stuff
The location is great, it’s near the center of Seoul, just five minute bus ride from the Yonsei campus. Gyeonbokgung, the old King’s Palace, and the American Embassy are right nearby. The working hours are flexible. The main editor seems like a really cool guy and the work atmosphere is really relaxed. The editor also took us to this amazing welcoming luncheon at the top of the building. They had like a five table buffet with every single Korean food imaginable. Can you imagine so many different sorts of foods, none of which you had tasted before? Meaningless to say, I was in heaven. All of the other interns are really nice. We’ve formed a pretty tight group together. I’m the oldest, but I also feel like the junior, since I’m the only one who doesn’t speak Korean. Anyway, Sarah, Danny, Sandra and Nari are all great and I’m looking forward to spending the summer with them.


From left: me, Sandra, Sarah and Danny enjoying a Korean barbeque (and soju).

The bad stuff
Ok, so what sucks is that there’s basically like nothing to do. Most people here seem unaware, uninterested and unbothered by our existence. We were given some assignments, but they aren’t like really challenging. I think the most surprising part has been the atmosphere. I imagined it to be hectic and exciting, with phones ringing, faxes beeping and people rushing around. Instead -sort of natural come to think of it- it’s more like a library. The reporters are just sitting around typing on their laptops. About one forth of the people here are western, whereas the rest are Korean. Considering that this is an English language newspaper one might assume everyone would be fluent in English, but frankly that’s not the case. At least they can write. Supposedly we’ll get the chance to publish articles later on. I’m optimistic things will pick up after a few days. It’s very frustrating just sitting around knowing you could be of use.


The view from my desk. I know this is like the worst picture ever, but it's all I've got, sorry guys.

I’ve noticed that people here go and brush their teeth in the bathroom in the middle of the working day. It’s so that their breath wouldn’t smell after a spicy lunch. Apparently bubble gum is not an option, since it would be considered rude. It’s just a bit comic when a 40-year-old Korean man in a suit keeps a toothbrush on his desk. But so anyway, now we are just pretty much sitting here, waiting for something exciting to show up. I have some ideas for articles, let’s hope I can push them though one of these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home